Demolition Derby

Monday, December 9, 2013

Remember how nice and fall-y our house looked? Well a few days after those photos were taken our house looked like this...


Yup, Jon and I tackled our floors in November. When I say November I mean all of November. Every single weekend. In case you guys haven't noticed my blog posts have been pretty infrequent. At first it was the jet lag and getting back into the swing of things after such a long vacation (hard life, I know). I kinda got back into the groove but then we decided to redo our floors and temporarily turned our home (and lives) upside down. 

Its no secret I hated our tile floors. I'm pretty sure I've told everyone I know how much I loathe tile. Thanks to my annual bonus and some back pay from my promotion way back in July we had some extra cash. Normally that would be my Black Friday money (don't judge me, I love a deal) but this year I told Jon I wanted to put that money towards new floors. Luckily he agreed (he's the best husband... truly) and thus we went floor shopping.

If this was our forever home I think we would have saved up a bit more for hardwood but after doing some research we decided on laminate flooring. It looks just as pretty as hardwood (I think so anyway), can handle Poseidon's nails, is easy to install and it was in our price range. I chose a darker, reddish tone color that I got on super sale at Lumber Liquidators and while I went to pick it up Jonathan got started on tearing up the tile.

Check out a messy before.



And once the demolition derby started.



Jonathan (and a friend) used a chisel and hammer to tear up most of it. Tile and grout make a HUGE mess. There was dust everywhere. All of the furniture was placed in our garage and we taped off the kitchen was plastic tarps.


They had to wear masks over our nose and mouths because we're pretty sure it is not a good idea to breathe in all that dust. Jonathan also opened all the windows and we placed fans around the room to try to push out the dust.

You can tell but the lighting that this process took all day. Since we didn't have any heavy duty trash bags we just left the mess downstairs. Out of sight, out of mind... until the next morning.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! We love hearing from our readers.