Poseidon's Post: Sick As A Dog

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Poseidon is our chipin (Chihuahua/ Minuature Pinscher mix). Since he’s a big part of our household he likes to give an update on his life every now and then. 

I know I just told you guys about my second birthday but something major happened to me last week and I just had to share so other pet parents don't worry like my humans did. 

Thursday started out like any other day. I woke up, got really excited when my parents woke and went outside to take care of my business. My dad fed me breakfast and I watched my mom get ready to go work. I settled in for my nap when all of sudden my tummy did not feel good and I had an accident in the house. I felt really bad about it because I know my mom doesn't like to clean that up but I couldn't help it. I thought the worst of it was over, drank some water and tried to nap far far away from my mess. Except it wasn't over. Not by a long shot. I'll spare you the smelly details but I spent all day being sick from either end of my body! It was so gross and I had to keep moving around the house to find a clean place to lay down. It was the worst day ever. I just kept throwing up over and over again. Throwing up like that is exhausting and pretty dangerous when you only weigh 7 pounds. 

When my mom finally came home from work I was so happy to see her but I just didn't have energy to meet her at the door like I normally do. She came in, called my name and when she saw the mess she said "Oh buddy, what happened? Are you okay?" She picked me up, gave me a kiss and told me to wait on the couch. She started to go upstairs, saw my bloody (told you it was gross) mess and called my dad to tell him that she was taking me to the vet. I had another accident in the car on my mom's lap but she just rubbed my head and said it was okay. 

Once we got the vet he said that they had to run some expensive tests to see what was wrong with me. My mom started to cry (she always cries) and told him to do whatever he thought I needed. She just wanted me to get better. Moms are the best. 

They took me in the back for some x-rays and blood work. I didn't even make a fuss even though I was scared that's how sick I was. After a little while the vet came out and told my humans (they all showed up to be with me, I love them) I had hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. He explained that vets don't know why dogs get it but basically we get really sick all of a sudden. We get bloody diarrhea and vomit out of nowhere. It can be really dangerous because we get dehydrated and if you don't treat it we could die! 

The vet said I had to spend the night in the hospital so I could get antibiotics, anti-nausea medicine and an IV to give me fluids. My humans were sad but really wanted me to get better so they said good night and they admitted me to the animal hospital. The next morning I felt a lot better and thought I could go home. My uncle picked me up but I got sick again at my grandma's house so he brought me back to the vet. That sucked. I wasn't feeling 100% but staying in the hospital is lonely! At least my family came to see me. 

Saturday afternoon I finally got to go home and I was so exited to be with my parents again. I had to smell the whole house! I guess my parents had to deep clean the house while I was gone. I noticed they also threw away the rug in the living room. I felt bad but my mom said she didn't really like it that much anyways. The couch cushions smelled like fresh laundry so I know they cleaned that too.

Since my tummy was still sensitive my parents had to feed me a tiny portion of chicken and rice every few hours to make sure my tummy could handle it. That part was okay with me since I love people food. 

Poseidon's Recovery from Berennisse Behr on Vimeo.

I also have to take a lot of medicine which I hate. I know its to make me feel better but I still don't like it. I spent most of the weekend recuperating and napping. 

 At least I got to sleep with my parents Saturday and Sunday. They were really worried about me and my mom kept waking me up to make sure I was okay. I also got to go to my grandma's house on Monday because my parents didn't want to leave me alone. Grandma let me sleep in her bed and play outside. 

I'm feeling a lot better and things are getting back to normal. My mom said I have to keep taking my medicine until Saturday but I have enough energy to play with my toys!

Poseidon's Playing from Berennisse Behr on Vimeo.

My parents did buy me some doggie insurance in case I ever sick again and really recommend that all pet parents get some for their fur babies. Although the vet bills were really really expensive my humans said that I am worth it. They said that we are a family and that's what family does. And even though I can be a brat when its medicine time I love my people. Not only do they throw me birthday parties, they also saved my life.

1 comment:

Leave a comment! We love hearing from our readers.