Salzburg

Monday, March 10, 2014

Salzburg, Austria. One of my favorite places. Isn't it beautiful?


After New York, Dublin, Oktoberfest and Munich Jonathan and I went to Salzburg. I spent a semester in college studying there and since Salzburg is only a few hours away we decided to make it our third stop. After our not so great accommodations in Munich we were so excited for our hotel. It overlooks the Mirabell Gardens (you may recognize it from the Sound of the Music) so after we settled in we walked over. 



Then we went up the Monchsberg so I could show Jon where I lived during my semester abroad. The Monschberg is a mountain in the middle of the city. Named for the monks that reside there it is home to a few different castles and other historic fortifications. 




After that we strolled around the city and I pointed out some of my favorite places to Jon. However there were two things I absolutely had to show him. First kasekrainers. Kasekrainers are cheese filled sausages that you can get with bread and mustard. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Jon took one bite and said "this is my favorite thing we've eaten so far."



Second was the Aug. The Augustiner Brau (brewery) has been around sine 1621 and was founded by monks. It is a traditional beer hall with the long wooden tables and you can buy your beer by the liter or half liter. 

The next day we went up to Hohensalzburg Castle, the fortress seen in the background of our photos form Mirabell. We did the tour but by far our favorite part was the view. 




We also visited the Salzburg Cathedral



and Mozart's Geburtshaus (birthplace). 


before stopping for coffee at the Salzburg location of the famous Hotel Sacher. They are really famous for their Sacher torte which we obviously had to try. 


We spent our last night in town at the Aug once again (the beer is really good) and admiring the city lit up at night. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! We love hearing from our readers.